The Stanford Credential Framework is a university-wide credential system that represents standardized entry requirements, completion requirements, and levels of rigor.
The framework was originally developed by the Stanford Center for Professional Development using the following data sources, and with input and approval from the following university offices or committees:
Stanford Offices or Committees:
- Continuing Studies
- Graduate School of Business
- Business Affairs
- Office of the General Counsel
- Office of the University Registrar
- Committee on Undergraduate Standards and Policies (CUSP)
- Committee on Graduate Studies
- Academic Business Development Group (representing all seven schools, convened by VPTL)
- Policy and Programs Committee
- Formal faculty / department survey completed by the Registrar
- Informal catalog of existing certificate documents
- Industry benchmarking
- Product mapping project
The Framework continues to be stewarded by the Stanford Center for Professional Development on behalf of Stanford University.
The Framework represents educational programs offered by schools, centers and other units throughout Stanford, including SCPD. Credentials represent completed work for an individual course or a sequence of courses. Graduate degrees meet all the requirements of a Stanford University graduate degree and decisions regarding graduate admissions are made by the admitting departments. Undergraduate certificates are available to matriculated Stanford University students and administered by departments.
More information for Stanford faculty and staff:
If you would like to develop a new credentialed learning opportunity, please contact SCPD for guidance and/or collaboration:
Stanford Center for Professional Development
Detailed guidelines are available to Stanford faculty and staff. If you would like a copy and/or you have questions about the Stanford Credential Framework, please contact:
Senior Director and Public Information Officer
Stanford Center for Professional Development and Stanford Online