As a blueprint of DNA, a genome can reveal powerful new discoveries for the treatment and prevention of diseases. By placing focus on the individual patient versus the illness, genomic sequencing and analysis is challenging the traditional methods of diagnosis.
This course will expose you to the important role that genetics and genomics can play in medical decisions, practices and applications. From confirming a familial disease to identifying the potential of adverse drug reactions, the study of personal genomics is complex, extensive, and ready to be uncovered. Be at the forefront of this emerging branch of medicine that is shaping the future of precision healthcare.
This course is an elective course in the Stanford Genetics and Genomics Certificate.
You Will Learn
- Accuracy of current technologies and state of the field
- Challenges for implementing genomics into the clinic
- Considerations for interpreting genome and genetic variants
- Methods to acquire genetic data for medical and consumer testing
- Role of genetics in drug response (pharmacogenomics)
- Pros and cons of clinical genetic testing in prenatal, pediatric and adult settings
- Russ Altman Professor, Bioengineering, Genetics, and Medicine
- Euan Ashley Associate Professor of Medicine, of Genetics, Stanford University
- Kasia Bryc Population Geneticist, 23andMe
- Dianna Fisk Senior Scientific Curator, Stanford University
- Julie Granka Population Geneticist, Ancestry.com
- Hank Greely Professor of Law and (by Courtesy) of Genetics, Stanford University
- Bethann Hromatka Health Content Manager, 23andMe
- Stuart Kim Professor of Developmental Biology and of Genetics, Stanford University
- Kelly Ormond Professor (Teaching) of Genetics, Stanford University
- Michael Snyder Professor and Chair in Genetics, Stanford University
$495 per Elective Course
Continuing Education Units
By completing this course, you’ll earn 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU). CEUs cannot be applied toward any Stanford degree. CEU transferability is subject to the receiving institution’s policies.
Record of Completion
When you complete each course, you’ll receive an email with a link to download your Record of Completion. This email will be sent to the address you provide in your mystanfordconnection within 3 business days of course completion.
Please contact us at 650.263.4700 or