Genetic research has been instrumental in developing leading methods used to understand the nature, scope and potential treatment of cancer. Detailed analysis of genetic alterations continues to illuminate the common and specific genetic signatures of various cancers, thereby advancing the field and providing more successful and more targeted treatment options.
This course will expose you to the cutting-edge research that offers attractive development for new anti-cancer drugs and therapeutic strategies. From the differences between sporadic and familial cancers to systemic and targeted level treatment studies, you will learn the history of cancer and how it shaped society and research today.
This course is an elective course in the Stanford Genetics and Genomics Certificate.
You Will Learn
- Current methods involved in cancer research
- Differences between multiple classes of genetic mutations
- How alterations in various cell signaling pathways can lead to different cancers
- Genetic changes involved and required in tumorgenesis
- Targeted therapies for the latest cancer treatments
- Laura Attardi Professor Of Radiation Oncology and of Genetics, Stanford University
- Emily Crane Instructor, Stanford University
- Joe Lipsick Professor of Pathology, Genetics and, by courtesy, Stanford University
- Julien Sage Associate Professor of Pediatrics (Cancer Biology), Stanford University
- Ruth Tennen Lecturer, Stanford University
- Monte Winslow Assistant Professor of Genetics and of Pathology, Stanford University
- Stacey Wirt Taylor Lecturer, Stanford University
$495 per Elective Course
Continuing Education Units
By completing this course, you’ll earn 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU). CEUs cannot be applied toward any Stanford degree. CEU transferability is subject to the receiving institution’s policies.
Record of Completion
When you complete each course, you’ll receive an email with a link to download your Record of Completion. This email will be sent to the address you provide in your mystanfordconnection within 3 business days of course completion.
Please contact us at 650.263.4700 or