The field of genetics is rich with discovery. Mapping the human genome, conducting genetic testing, and identifying new vaccines are just a few of the many ways genetics can have a powerful impact on our world. This course provides a stair-step introduction of genetics from the basic concepts to exploring more complex topics, including molecular biology, gene mapping and screening, and reverse and forward genetic research. You will explore both what is known about genes as well as how we use genetics research to better understand basic biology. This course will create the solid foundation needed to be successful in the subsequent courses within the program.
This course is the required first course in the Stanford Genetics and Genomics Certificate.
You Will Learn
- The structure and function of genes, chromosomes and genomes
- How traits get passed down through generations
- The fundamentals of molecular biology
- The use of genetic methods to analyze protein function, gene regulation and inherited disease
- Existing and emerging model organisms of genetic research
- Kasia Bryc Population Geneticist, 23andMe
- Will Greenleaf Assistant Professor of Genetics, Stanford University
- Barry Starr Program Director, Outreach Activities, Stanford University
- Ruth Tennen Lecturer, Stanford University
- Monte Winslow Assistant Professor of Genetics and of Pathology, Stanford University
- Mendelian genetics
- Genetic recombination, mutation, and selection
- Tracking maternal ancestry
- Reverse and forward genetics
- Genetic mapping and screening
- Biotechnology and gene therapy
- $695 per required course
- $75 one-time document fee
- $3,445* All-Access Plan- Pay for six courses, get three free, and access them all for an entire year.
*If you have already paid for Genetics and Genomics program courses, the total cost will be pro-rated accordingly. Our Student and Client Services team will be in contact with you to make arrangements. Contact us at email@example.com.
Continuing Education Units
By completing this course, you’ll earn 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU). CEUs cannot be applied toward any Stanford degree. CEU transferability is subject to the receiving institution’s policies.
Record of Completion
When you complete each course, you’ll receive an email with a link to download your Record of Completion. This email will be sent to the address you provide in your mystanfordconnection within 3 business days of course completion.
Please contact us at 650.263.4700 or