Take online courses in genetics and genomics and gain a greater understanding of biology, human health and personalized medicine. Tap into the world-class research of Stanford faculty and industry experts to acquire the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the rapidly evolving genetics industry.
The certificate program topics include advancements in the field of personalized medicine, DNA sequencing technologies and commercial applications of genetics research.
You Will Gain
- A solid foundation of knowledge in the field of genetics
- A broad understanding of the fundamentals of genomics
- An introduction to cutting edge technologies used in the field
- Familiarity with industry and medically-relevant applications
- Real-world skills that will make you more marketable
Who Should Enroll
- Emerging technology leaders, strategists and venture capitalists who trade within the science-medical space
- R&D managers and new product teams
- Medical practitioners looking to expand their knowledge in the scientific world
- Medical sales representatives
- Directors, Managers or Administrators who work in non-scientific roles in scientific environments
All courses are online, on-demand and self-paced. Each consists of short online lecture videos, readings, exercises and a 20-35 question multiple choice final exam. You will also have email access to a Stanford teaching assistant to answer your questions
Earning the Certificate
You can earn the Stanford Genetics and Genomics Certificate of Achievement by successfully completing the two required and any four elective courses. You can enroll in courses individually or complete them through the All-Access Plan. We strongly recommend that you first complete Fundamentals of Genetics: The Genetics You Need to Know (XGEN101) and Genomics and the Other Omics: The Comprehensive Essentials (XGEN(102).
- 5 years of work experience, preferably in science or tech-related fields
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- High school level knowledge of biology and chemistry
- An investigative and scientific spirit
The All-Access Plan – a full year to view and complete course materials, video lectures, assignments and exams, at your own pace. Revisit course materials or jump ahead – all content remains at your fingertips year-round. You also get 365 days of email access to your Stanford teaching assistant.
- $75 one-time document fee
Individual Courses - 60 days to view and complete course materials, video lectures, assignments and exams, at your own pace. You also get 60 days of email access to your Stanford teaching assistant.
- $695 per required course
- $495 per elective course
- $75 one-time document fee
Note: If you’ve already paid for a Genetics and Genomics Program course and wish to enroll in the All-Access Plan, your cost will be pro-rated accordingly. Contact our Student and Client Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 650-263-4700.
Time to Complete Certificate
You should expect to spend 10-18 hours to complete each course, depending on your familiarity with the topic.
For individual courses, we recommend that you designate 2-3 hours per week to watch video lectures and complete assignments in order to finish within 60 days.
Since the All-Access Plan allows you to access all courses for one year, you can determine how quickly to progress, but you must complete courses with 365 days in order to receive credit.