Decisions made at many levels can have a profound effect on the outcome of a company. Overall success or failure can hang on a single action, which is why decisions need to be based on thorough analysis of multiple and often competing variables.
The Decision Analysis graduate certificate develops the skills and mindset professionals need to succeed as managers in a technical environment. Through a combination of probabilistic risk analysis, case studies on international conflict and mathematical modelling, you will learn techniques that reliably lead to effective decisions and clearly demonstrate why they are valid. After examining a variety of data from the fields of health care, finance, and engineering, you will be capable of the advanced analysis that supports critical, strategic decisions.
The focus of this certificate is:
- Developing rules of thought to transform complex decisions into situations with a clear course of action
- Learning powerful distinctions that improve personal decision-making and help others to make important decisions
- Probability and risk assessment where multiple, changing factors come into play
- Theory of decision analysis
Who Should Apply
Those working in industry, health care and security-particularly if they lead teams, manage budgets or make recommendations to senior management. Those moving into more senior leadership positions.
Earning the Certificate
- Tailor the certificate to your interests and career goals
- Begin your certificate any academic quarter that an applicable course is offered, subject to prerequisites
- Take courses for graduate credit and a grade
- Maintain a B average (GPA of 3.0) or better
- Complete the two required courses, choose one probability course and choose one general elective course
- 1 year of college level calculus (through calculus of several variables, such as CME100). Coursework must be from an accredited university or college that can provide a transcript verifying successful completion.
- Background in statistics, experience with spreadsheets recommended.
- A conferred Bachelor’s degree with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better.
To pursue a graduate certificate you need to apply.
Tuition is based on the number of units you take. See Graduate Course Tuition on our Tuition & Fees page for more information.
Time to Complete Certificate
On average, students complete the certificate within 1-2 years.