45.00 Hours Required

Students terminating their graduate work with the M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering must develop a graduate-level, thematic M.S. program consisting of a minimum of 45 completed units of academic work that includes:

  • Four Chemical Engineering lecture courses selected from the CHEMENG 300 series
  • 3 units of CHEMENG 699 Colloquia
  • An additional 30 units, selected from graduate-level science or engineering lecture courses in any department and, by petition to the Chair of the Department of Chemical Engineering, from upper-division undergraduate lecture courses in science and engineering

Alternatively, up to 6 units of research may be used in lieu of up to 6 units of the additional 30 lecture units to partially satisfy the 45 unit minimum requirement. Another option is an up-to-six-unit combination of research units and 1, 2, or 3 units of CHEMENG 459 or other similar 1- or 2-unit graduate seminar courses, with faculty developed curricula, used in lieu of up to 6 units of the required additional 30 lecture units. Credit toward the required minimum of 45 completed units for the M.S. degree is not given for CHEMENG 296 or the Chemical Engineering special topics courses numbered in the 500 series nor for similar courses in other departments.

To ensure that an appropriate Chemical Engineering graduate program is pursued by each M.S. candidate, students who first matriculate at Stanford at the graduate level must, during the first quarter, no later than the eighth week, (a) complete a Program Proposal for a Master’s Degree form, that is approved by the M.S. adviser; (b) submit this petition to departmental student services, for review by the department chair; and (c) obtain approval for any subsequent program change or changes from the M.S. adviser and the department chair. Stanford undergraduates admitted to the coterminal master’s program must (a) submit an adviser-approved Program Proposal for a Master’s Degree (a graduate degree progress form) either during their second quarter of graduate standing or upon the completion of 9 units of graduate work (whichever occurs first), and (b) document with student services their M.S. adviser’s review and approval of their graduate program when they have accrued 30 units toward the M.S. degree in Chemical Engineering. Each M.S. candidate must obtain approvals for the final M.S. program no later than the eighth week of the quarter preceding the quarter of degree conferral, in order to permit amendment of the final quarter’s study list if the faculty deem this necessary. Students with questions should contact departmental services.


Research Experience

Students in the M.S. program wishing to obtain research experience should work with the M.S. faculty adviser on the choice of research adviser as early as feasible and in advance of the anticipated quarter(s) of research. Once arrangements are mutually agreed upon, including the number of units, students enroll in the appropriate section of http://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofengineering/chemicalengineering/ Graduate Research in Chemical Engineering. A written report describing the results of the research undertaken must be submitted to and approved by the research adviser. http://exploredegrees.stanford.edu/schoolofengineering/chemicalengineering/ Graduate Research in Chemical Engineering may not be taken in lieu of any of the required four 300-level lecture courses.

Minimum Grade Requirement

Any course used to satisfy the 45-unit minimum for the M.S. degree must be taken for a letter grade, if offered. An overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 must be maintained for these courses.


For course tuition and fees, please click Tuition & Fees.

Time Commitment

Most part-time students take an average of 3 to 5 years to complete the unit requirement. You must complete a Master's degree within 5 years of starting the program. Note: On-campus attendance will be required for degree completion.


For assistance while in the application process, please contact our Student Services Manager, Jeanne Cosby, cosby@stanford.edu. Please use “Admissions” in the subject line: ADMISSIONS – [your full name ] & [key word(s)].

Honors Cooperative Program Students

MS students should be aware that they will not be able to take all of the necessary courses online in Chemical Engineering. Attendance in all courses on-campus will be necessary to complete such a degree. Please make arrangements with your employer to be on campus during some quarters during the middle of the day to complete the needed course work.


For more information, please visit the Chemical Engineering Department Page or call the department at 650-723-4906.

Additional Details

Federal Financial Aid Available: