The field of natural language processing (NLP) is one of the most important and useful application areas of artificial intelligence. NLP is undergoing rapid evolution as new methods and toolsets converge with an ever-expanding availability of data. In this course you will explore the fundamental concepts of NLP and its role in current and emerging technologies. You will gain a thorough understanding of modern neural network algorithms for the processing of linguistic information. By mastering cutting-edge approaches, you will gain the skills to move from word representation and syntactic processing to designing and implementing complex deep learning models for question answering, machine translation, and other language understanding tasks.
You Will Learn
- Computational properties of natural languages
- Neural network models for language understanding tasks
- Word vectors, syntactic, and semantic processing
- Coreference, question answering, and machine translation
This professional online course, based on the Academic Year 2018-2019 on-campus Stanford graduate course CS224N, features:
- Classroom lecture videos edited and segmented to focus on essential content
- Coding assignments enhanced with added inline support and milestone code checks
- Office hours and support from Stanford-affiliated Course Assistants
- Cohort structure providing opportunities to network and collaborate with motivated learners from diverse locations and professional backgrounds
Expect to commit 8-12 hours/week for the duration of the 10-week program.
- College Calculus, Linear Algebra: You should be comfortable taking (multivariable) derivatives and understanding matrix/vector notation and operations.
- Basic Probability and Statistics: You should know basics of probabilities, gaussian distributions, mean, and standard deviation.
- Foundations of Machine Learning (recommended but not required): Knowledge of basic machine learning and/or deep learning is helpful, but not required.
Professor Christopher Manning
Thomas M. Siebel Professor in Machine Learning, Professor of Linguistics and of Computer Science
Director, Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (SAIL)
PhD Candidate, Computer Science
Head TA, CS224: Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning
Upon completing this course, you will earn a Certificate of Achievement in Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning from the Stanford Center for Professional Development.
This is the first course in a series of Artificial Intelligence professional courses to be offered by the Stanford Center for Professional Development. You may earn a Professional Certificate in Artificial Intelligence by completing three courses in the program. The next course in the series is Natural Language Understanding, a project-focused course that is complementary to Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning. The Natural Language Understanding course will be offered Winter 2019-2020.
Prior to enrolling in the course, you will be asked to complete a short application (15-20 minutes) to the SCPD AI Professional Certificate Program. The application allows you to share more about your interest in joining this cohort-based course, as well as verify that you meet the prerequisite requirements needed to make the most of the experience.
After submitting the application, you may proceed directly to the enrollment page to reserve your space in the course. If your application is denied, your tuition payment will be refunded in full.
Contact us at 650-204-3984