The purpose of this seminar series is to help students and professionals develop the tools to apply the engineering mindset to problems that stem from climate change, in order to consider and evaluate possible stabilizing, remedial and adaptive approaches. This course is not a crash course on climate change or policy. Instead we will focus on learning about and discussing climate problems that seem most likely to benefit from the engineering mindset.
Each week, Dr. Leslie Field and/or a guest speaker will lead a short warm up discussion/activity then deliver a talk in his/her area of expertise. We'll wrap up with small-group and full-class discussions of related challenges/opportunities and possible engineering-orientated solutions.
Class members are asked to do some background reading before each class and to submit a question before each lecture. Text: Cold Cash, Cool Climate by Jonathan Koomey, Ph.D. Additional topical readings will be available on line.
- Professor Leslie Field. Stanford, Ice911. Class Intro, Climate Change, Ice911, Geoengineering
- Kimberly Wiefling. Wiefling Consulting. Solving "Impossible" Problems in Climate
- Marc Tarpenning. Tesla, Mayfield Fund Greenstart. Electric vehicles & Startups
- Nancy Pfund. DBL Partners, Solar City. Impact Investing in Cleantech
- Doug Stoup. Ice Axe Expeditions. Polar Observations, Field Testing & Engineering
- Dr. Rocco Mancinelli and Dr. David Smernoff. HelioBioSys. Bio-produced Sugars
- Dr. Alvar Escriva-Bou. Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC). Water & Energy
- Dr. Brian von Herzen. The Climate Foundation. Sustainably Balancing Carbons
- Iris Harrell. Harrell Remodeling. Field Trip: Green Building & Remodeling
- Professor Leslie Field. Stanford, Ice911. Wrap-up & Brainstorming (& Alums)
- Leslie Field Consulting Professor, Electrical Engineering
Seminar videos are available at seminars.stanford.edu two hours after the lecture occurs on campus and on-demand for the remainder of the quarter. Streaming will require an HTML5 supported web browser and a high-speed internet connection. You can watch on the go with iOS, Android, Windows Phone and any smartphone/tablet that supports HTML5. Most seminars can be found under "Free Stuff - Engineering Seminars" from the SCPD website.
Tuition & Fees
For course tuition, reduced tuition (SCPD member companies and United States Armed forces), and fees, please click Tuition & Fees.