(3/2)-ary Trees (The 20th Annual Christmas Tree Lecture)
Professor Knuth will present his 20th Annual Christmas Tree Lecture on Tuesday, December 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm in NVIDIA Auditorium in Huang Engineering Center, 475 Via Ortega, Stanford University . For those unable to come to Stanford, the lecture will be broadcast online as a free webinar. If you would like to view the live broadcast, please register so that we can send you the link prior to the event.
In previous lectures I've discussed binary trees, ternary trees, quaternary trees, etc., which are enumerated by the coefficients of important functions called generalized binomial series of order 2, 3, 4, etc. What happens when we consider generalized binomial series of order 3/2, or of other fractional orders? The answer is pretty amazing.
Professor Knuth is the Professor Emeritus of the Art of Computer Programming at Stanford University. Dr. Knuth's classic programming texts include his seminal work The Art of Computer Programming, Volumes 1-3, widely considered to be among the best scientific writings of the century.
This free, one-hour lecture is hosted by the Stanford Center for Professional Development on Tuesday, December 2 at 6 p.m. Pacific Time.
There is no admission charge or registration required for the lecture on Stanford's campus. Parking is available in the Panama parking structure at the corner of Panama Street and Via Ortega; parking is free after 4 pm. Please follow the instructions below to register for the free live webinar broadcast.
Steps to Register
- Scroll down to the course section at the bottom of the page
- Click on the red "Enroll in this Section" button
- Click on the gold "View Cart" link located in the upper right-hand corner
- Continue with the checkout process by filling out the required information * note: there is no fee for this webinar
- To view the webinar information, click on the "mystanfordconnection" tab in the upper right-hand corner and select the "Webinar Login Instructions" link beneath the webinar title
Tuesday, December 2, 2014
6 p.m. - 7 p.m. Pacific
9 p.m. - 10 p.m. Eastern
Before the live event, ensure that you have the following equipment and software:
- A computer that supports streaming media files
PC & Mac Users: Download and install the latest version of Silverlight
- DSL or a fast Internet connection to view the video session.
Please email Student and Client Services