You spend a significant part of your day negotiating, whether you're always aware of it or not. Negotiating effectively helps you reach agreements, achieve objectives, strengthen your relationships, and ultimately be more productive. An entrepreneur needs strong analytic skills to develop optimal solutions to problems, but they also need negotiation expertise to implement these solutions and bring them to market. In this course you will gain valuable insight into how to be a more effective negotiator and secure more of what you want in life. Through lectures, vignettes and hands-on exercises you will understand the components of effective negotiations, analyze your own behavior and practice your negotiation skills.
Learn How To
- Develop confidence in the negotiation process.
- Gain an understanding of the negotiation process, from planning through making the deal. Learn to understand what you want for yourself in a negotiation, and spend time assessing what your counterpart wants. By understanding various aspects of the negotiation process you will gain confidence in your ability to negotiate effectively.
- Enhance your ability to understand and predict the behavior of individuals in competitive situations.
- Explore the goals of negotiating, learn about the characteristics of a good deal and understand how expectations drive behavior. Learn strategies you can use to influence your counterpart.
- Evaluate the costs and benefits of different actions and how to manage the negotiating process.
- Why do people not negotiate? What are the costs of not negotiating? When should you walk away from a negotiation? Explore these questions and learn how initiating negotiations can create value from your day-to-day interactions as well as how negotiating can have a lasting impact on your future financial well-being.
- Improve your ability to analyze the negotiation situation and develop a strategic plan to improve your ability to negotiate effectively.
- In negotiation we often think the slice of the “pie” we receive reflects the value we get in the deal. Learn how we can create value by enlarging the pie, in addition to claiming value by receiving a bigger piece of the pie.
The All-Access Plan – a full year to view and complete course materials, video lectures, assignments and exams, at your own pace. Revisit course materials or jump ahead – all content remains at your fingertips year-round. You also get 365 days of email access to your Stanford teaching assistant.
•$75 one-time document fee.?
Individual Courses - 60 days to view and complete course materials, video lectures, assignments and exams, at your own pace. You also get 60 days of email access to your Stanford teaching assistant.
•$995 per course
•$75 one-time document fee.?
Continuing Education Units
By completing this course, you’ll earn 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU). CEUs cannot be applied toward any Stanford degree. CEU transferability is subject to the receiving institution’s policies.
Record of Completion
When you complete each course, you’ll receive an email with a link to download your Record of Completion. This email will be sent to the address you provide in your mystanfordconnection within 3 business days of course completion.
Please contact us at 650.741.1630 or
Watch a brief overview of the Negotiation: How to Get (More of) What You Want course.