This course is for students interested in learning about the creation of new ventures in engineering and science intensive industries such as chemical, energy, materials, bioengineering, environmental, clean-tech, pharmaceuticals, medical and biotechnology. Students will gain a good sense of the excitement, complexity, and challenges that define creating new businesses, whether within an existing organization or in a startup environment. The focus is on new ventures that require long development times, large investments, integration across a wide range of technical and non-technical disciplines, and the creation and protection of intellectual property. Teaching methods will include lectures, case studies, guest speakers and individual and team projects.
- Business basics
- Evaluating venture viability
- Creating new ventures
- Challenges and opportunities in established organizations
- Leadership of new ventures
- Team dynamics
- New ventures and career paths
- Class Participation- 30%
- Idea Viability Pitch- 15%
- Venture Viability Presentation- 20%
- Pitch and Viability Written Assignments- 15%
- Other Written Assignments- 20%
Tuition & Fees
For course tuition, reduced tuition (SCPD member companies and United States Armed forces), and fees, please click Tuition & Fees.