Compressible flows play a crucial role in a variety of man-made and natural phenomena including aerodynamics, rocket and missile propulsion, and steam and gas turbines. It also can solve a number of design problems associated with these applications.
In this course, learn the major concepts in the compressible flow of gases as well as the fundamentals of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. Gain a physical understanding of the phenomena and analytical techniques.
- Brian Cantwell Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Fluid flow and thermodynamics of gases
- Control volumes, vector calculus, equations of motion
- Gas dynamics of nozzles
- Steady and unsteady waves, oblique shocks, Prandtl-Meyer expansion
- Linearized potential flow, thin airfoil theory
Undergraduate background in fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.