Biotechnology is a propelling force in a number of society’s grand challenges including engineering better molecules and devices to improve human health, metabolic engineering for the production of sustainable fuels and chemicals, and plant biotechnology for biofortification and crop pest resistance. Understanding biological processes, organisms, and systems is the foundation from which breakthrough developments are derived. The Biotechnology Graduate Certificate draws upon the teaching and research of Stanford faculty and is combined with industry expertise and medically relevant case studies to provide you with skills and tools to help you succeed in this field.
You Will Learn
- Basic concepts and the “language” of biotechnology including how biopharmaceuticals are developed
- How biological knowledge combines with quantitative engineering principles
- To analyze biochemical processes and the engineering fundamentals they use
- About chemical reactions that provide the cell with the energy and raw materials necessary for life
- Approaches needed to identify new opportunities and address business challenges in biotechnology
Who Should Enroll
- Life science graduates who want to deepen their knowledge about biotechnology
- Potential career changers seeking to refocus their careers on biotechnology
- Aspiring individual contributors and managers in the biotechnology field
Earning the Certificate
- Begin your certificate any academic quarter that an applicable course is offered, subject to prerequisites
- Take courses for graduate credit and a grade
- Maintain a B average (GPA of 3.0) or better
- BS in Science or Engineering
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better
- Generally, a college level understanding of chemistry is assumed, although the introductory course only requires a high-school knowledge.
To pursue this graduate certificate you need to apply.
12 units are required to complete the certificate
For course tuition, reduced tuition (SCPD member companies and United States Armed forces), and fees, please click
Tuition & Fees
Time to Complete Certificate
1-2 years average
3 years maximum to complete
Submit an inquiry and a representative will contact you.
Chemical Engineering Department