A revolution in materials science and engineering is taking place as researchers find ways to pattern and characterize materials at the nanometer length scale. New materials with outstanding electrical, optical, magnetic and mechanical properties are rapidly being developed for use in information technology, bioengineering, and energy and environmental applications. The Nanoscale Materials Science Graduate Certificate offers an opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to understand the present and potential applications of these rapidly developing nano-materials technologies.
You Will Learn
- How to use nanofabrication and nanocharacterization to make advanced materials and devices with desired properties
- What market directions and new products are being made possible by rapid developments in new nanoscale materials and material characteristics
- How to apply a foundation innanofabrication and nanocharacterization in diverse fields, such as green and renewable energy, medical devices, bioengineering, biocompatible materials, cutting-edge semiconductor fabrication, optics and optical computing devices, micro-electromechanical systems, advanced microstructural applications, chemical processing, and chemical and biological sensing
Who Should Apply
- Materials Scientists
- Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, or Aerospace Engineers
- Technology professionals seeking to transition to a field in which nanoscale materials are or will be used
- Entrepreneurs with interests in markets that are being created by these new nanoscale materials technologies
Earning the Certificate
- Tailor the certificate to your interests and career goals
- Begin your certificate any academic quarter that an applicable course is offered, subject to prerequisites
- Take courses for graduate credit and a grade
- Maintain a B average (GPA of 3.0) or better
- Participants may either take MATSCI346 or EE336 to satisfy the Nanophotonics content, but may not apply both to the certificate
- Basic math: college level calculus.
- Introductory level materials science.
- For some courses, basic differential equations.
- A conferred Bachelor’s degree with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better.
To pursue a graduate certificate you need to apply.
$13,440 - $15,840 (12 units)
to complete the certificate
For course tuition and fees, please click
Tuition & Fees
Time to Complete Certificate
1-2 years average
3 years maximum to complete
Yi Cui, Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Submit an inquiry and a representative will contact you.